Friday 4 January 2013

What goes down....

Given my record of overtraining to the point of causing injury I need to take it easy on quite a few days through this Janathon month, however I would like to achieve my personal challenge of running every day if possible as opposed to substituting a run with another form of exercise. To that end my challenge today was to run slowly.

I'm no spring chicken, and my fast is leisurely paced to many, but by slowly I mean at "easy" or "recovery" run pace and I'm particularly bad at this.  Quite often I'll get part way into a run, take a look at the watch, and speed up trying to reach some quickly dreamed up target. Not today though.  Discipline held good although the route I chose meant that speeding up for the final third of the run wasn't really an option.

Starting in Upper Brynamman I took the back road west out of the village, climbing 20 feet or to a run highpoint of 634 feet above sea level in the first quarter of a mile.  At this point its downhill all way for a while, a gentle jog along a public footpath into and through the small village of Twyn to the floor of the valley at Glanamman by which time I've dropped 300 feet so that the half way point of this short run finds me now at 333 feet above see level.  Any ideas of picking speed then is soon banished as I now have to go back up the hill to get home! 

I don't mind a hill (can't really given where I live) and its another picturesque route with a short jog alongside the River Amman bringing me to the start of the climb up through Tir-Sir-Walter and back to Brynamman with the benefit of a mile and half hill climb and a run speed averaging a leisurely 11mins/mile for the 3.5 mile route.  Day 4 done!

My right heel is starting to feel a bit sore after a few consecutive days running but that's normal and why the pedi-roller exists.  On the positive side there plenty in the tank for tomorrow and nothing else is aching.

The stats...

Distance : 3.5miles
Time : 39:08
Music : Joe Bonamassa's "Driving Toward The Daylight"

The route...



The elevation...



2 comments:

  1. Having slower recovery runs at regular intervals during #Janathon is very sensible, especially if you intend to run every day and are not used to that. Best to avoid those unwanted niggles and injuries by taking it easier once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I find if I keep most runs easy I can run every day.

    ReplyDelete